Wednesday, March 9, 2011

John 11:1-16 Heavenly Pauses

John 11:1-16 (New Living Translation)

1 A man named Lazarus was sick. He lived in Bethany with his sisters, Mary and Martha. 2 This is the Mary who later poured the expensive perfume on the Lord’s feet and wiped them with her hair. Her brother, Lazarus, was sick. 3 So the two sisters sent a message to Jesus telling him, “Lord, your dear friend is very sick.”
4 But when Jesus heard about it he said, “Lazarus’s sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.” 5 So although Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, 6 he stayed where he was for the next two days. 7 Finally, he said to his disciples, “Let’s go back to Judea.”

8 But his disciples objected. “Rabbi,” they said, “only a few days ago the people in Judea were trying to stone you. Are you going there again?”

9 Jesus replied, “There are twelve hours of daylight every day. During the day people can walk safely. They can see because they have the light of this world. 10 But at night there is danger of stumbling because they have no light.” 11 Then he said, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but now I will go and wake him up.”

12 The disciples said, “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will soon get better!” 13 They thought Jesus meant Lazarus was simply sleeping, but Jesus meant Lazarus had died.

14 So he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now you will really believe. Come, let’s go see him.”

16 Thomas, nicknamed the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let’s go, too—and die with Jesus.”

Several months back I took an online assessment to find out my strengths. During this moment of discovery, I found out that two of my main strengths are being an arranger and being strategic. I am a fixer and a problem solver. I like to figure out what the solutions to "what ifs". I strive to make situations easier and more effective. I like to believe that I am able to come up with a plan of action for anything anybody faces in life. (One of my other strengths is being Self-Assured.. which I was told was really a strength and not an opportunity for self-centeredness).

I wish I could turn this problem solver fixer part of my brain off when I am reading scripture like this. As always, we can learn a lot from Jesus in this situation. Jesus finds out that the "one he loves" is very sick.

My reaction would be: line up meals, get to their bed side at once, start preparing my speech of "taking things one day at a time and focus on the facts and not the what ifs" (I know there is irony there.. don't judge".

Jesus' reaction: I could use this as a teaching opportunity for my disciples, but first I will wait for two days and then act. He took a little heavenly pause.

WHAT!?!? Two days is far too long to wait when your loved one is sick. My mom was rushed to the emergency room in Houston recently with what they thought were heart problems. Being 3 hours away... I got there as fast as I could. I couldn't fathom not being at her side that second.

And yet Jesus took a heavenly pause.

Scripture really doesn't tell us why he took these two days.

One reason could be the fact that Jewish Leaders in Judea were out to kill him so maybe he wanted to really collect his thoughts and form a plan of action.

Another reason could be that he wanted to get the maximum amount of miracle possibilities by allowing Lazarus to die before he got to his side. That way he could literally raise somebody up from the dead instead of allowing there to be doubt surrounding him just getting better from his medical illness.

I love many things about Jesus.. but one of the main things I love about Jesus is the fact that he took every opportunity in his live to have teachable moments. Vs. 9-10 teach us about light and darkness. There are times to start walking and there are times to stand back and wait. Light is safe. Dark is unsafe. I am sure Jesus meant for this light and dark life lesson to have multiple meanings. Realistically it was and is safer literally to travel in the day time. Somehow I think there is more to this scripture than travel instructions.

Ten chapters earlier we learn this:

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

I think too many times I have great intentions with my reactions to sensitive and emergency situations, but I start walking in the darkness instead of taking a Heavenly Pause and allow The Light to guide my steps. It is one thing to help somebody - but its another thing to bring The Light with you to shine on others. I don't doubt that Christ is with me where ever I go...but sometimes I stumble thinking I can save others and help others. I can't save anybody. Sometimes I think I take it to the other extreme. Jesus has this one.. I can just stand back and let him take care of it. I find myself asking "seriously, what can I do in this situation". The answer is in the fact that sometimes its about the journey and not so much about the actions and words.

Waiting can be risky. Pausing and including Christ in your emergency plans might be time consuming. Every encounter we have with darkness is an opportunity for us to believe in Him (vs.15).

What are you willing to do? Are you willing to take a Heavenly Pause if it means putting your plans and maybe even your life at risk?

My prayer is that I can be as bold as Thomas was when he said "Let's go, too - and die with Jesus."

No comments: