Monday, September 28, 2009

Remember this day.

Several months ago I was eating at a Chinese food restaurant and when reading my fortune located in my cookie it said...... Remember the date 3 months from today. While I don't believe in horoscopes and fortunes, I decided to place "remember the date" on September 24th in my phone calendar and office calendar just to see if anything special happens on that day.

Every time I would look at September 24th I would think to myself... "I wonder why I need to remember that date.... maybe something big will happen".

Then September 24th arrived. I remember waking up last week and thinking "today will be different". I put on a "remember the date" outfit... and headed out to work. I treated this day differently I was open to new opportunities. I treated life differently because I was open and looking for something special.

A side note: my parents were in town for some doctors appointments for my dad who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in April of 2008. As many of you who may have had your lives affected with cancer, you know that for several years after being in remission you have to have tests periodically done to make sure the cancer is not back. September 24th was one of those days for my dad. He had been cancer free since January 2009 but you always hold your breath when you get the results of those tests praying that his very progressive cancer does not come back.

On September 24th he was told that the cancer had not come back and that so far everything looked good.

This was great news! News we had been praying for.

-Was this the BIG news?
-Is this why I needed to remember the 24th of September?

Although it was great news I didn't feel any different. Nothing really changed inside of me. Was this it? I experienced a momentary let down even though we received this great news. I was anticipating something different.

What if all of that anticipation and excitement was the special thing? What if I needed to remember September 24th as just a day that God had set aside for me to remember that every day has the potential to be a special day.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it" Psalm 118:24

THIS is the day the Lord has made, the Lord has set today, yesterday, and tomorrow apart as a special day. There is not a day that goes by with out it being special. I really believe that there is no such thing as a wasted day.

God sets each day apart for us to do something special with it.

Too many times I don't look for anything memorable in a day. I go from one day to another without a second thought.

Maybe I was supposed to "remember" September 24th just like I am supposed to "remember" September 23rd and September 25th.

We are given the opportunity to make ordinary days, extraordinary with our attitudes.

By the end of the night I tucked myself in with this thought:

September 24th will always be a date to remember because it was the day that God showed me that each day is different and special. Prayers had been answered. Diseases had been cured. Hearts were opened. Second chances were given. I need to celebrate the small things in life. Days are given to us to find blessings and bless others.

Remember this day as a day that the Lord has made. We are called to rejoice and be glad in it!

I will always remember September 24th because it reminded me to remember EVERY DAY... and to seek out small blessings.

1 comment:

Steve Heyduck said...

Thanks for telling this. I wonder what would happen if we entered each and every day with that kind of expectancy?