Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Shampoo Glutton

I am a glutton.

I have come to terms that I am a glutton.

After reading an article in Relevant Magazine called Gluttony Its Not Just About Eating Too Much....I have come to terms with the fact that I am a glutton.

Jeff Cook explains Gluttony so well in his article when he says "Gluttony is not about obesity; gluttony is about what we unite ourselves to. Gluttons wed themselves to meals over and above what is good for them and by devouring more and more, they have less and less."

It is so much more than food. Its about being excessive.

A perfect example of this can be found in my shower.

As a single lady living by myself I have roughly 4 different bottles of shampoo in my shower right now. That doesn't count the other 3 or 4 I have in my bathroom closet.

I am a shampoo glutton.

I unite myself to things that are temporary and that gives me temporary satisfaction.

I can't be the only one either. Many of us probably find security in abundance. If we have a good job with good benefits and pay... then we have job security. If we have money in our savings accounts and secure investments then we have financial security. If we have a spouse then we have security that we will never be alone. If our pantries, refrigerators, and freezers are full of food then we have security in knowing where our next meal comes from. If we have 4 different kinds of shampoo... then we have security in the fact that our hair will never be dirty.

Although those are important things, nothing is more important than the security that we have in our relationship with Christ. We can have all of the money in the world, full pantries, a huge selection of shampoo and secure homes but all of those things could all fade away. I have been challenged to change my focus from my selfish satisfactions to being completely satisfied and secure in my relationship with Christ.

Plus the more I have the less others will have. We have limited resources in this world and we are called to share. This article has really made me look at what I have and what I give. I need to take invetory and be purposeful with what I fill myself up with.

I would love for you to check out this article! But be ready for it to convict you!!!

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/magazine/current-issue

No comments: