Sunday, May 22, 2011

Criticism Fast - Ephesians 4:29

Ephesians 4:29 (New Living Translation)

29 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

YIKES! This scripture speaks to the heart of my weakness.

Let EVERYTHING you say be good and helpful.

As I digest my day a little bit I am instantly convicted by my words. Even on this first day of fasting that is concentrated on not being critical or complaining...I have failed miserably on saying good and helpful words.

Words mean so much if we are really honest. We can say "sticks and stones may break our bones but words will never hurt me"... but talk to a person who has been told they are stupid all of their life, or a child who just heard from their parents that they are disappointed in them, or somebody who just found out they lost a loved one. The words we say have weight behind them. I forget that. I forget that God has given us all the blessing and ability to build others up by the words we use. With that blessing comes responsibility.

We are responsible for our words.
Our written words.
The words we text.
The words we post.
The words we say.....

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Are the words we saying good and helpful?

There is a difference in complaining and stating factual information. Its all in our outlook and the results we want to gain from our words. The choice is up to us. Nobody can make you text something. Nobody can make you say anything. The blessing and the responsibility is up to us.

On this day of fasting I am reminded in the silence of my office that silence in our words sometimes is the best option. My prayer for me today is to find silence in the moments of criticism. My prayer is to find the joy and blessing in every opportunity to complain.

Please join me in the few hours left in this day on being aware of our words. Think before you speak, text, post, write.... are your words good and helpful?

1 comment:

Iris said...

Amanda, I caught myself yesterday several times. I didn't even get to talk about how terrible the refs were at the Mavs game!! Thanks for the daily challenge. Ephesians 4:29 is an ongoing work in my life.
God Bless!
Iris