Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Inconvenient Mission Philemon 1:6

Philemon 1:6 (New Living Translation)

6 And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ.

I love summer time! It is my favorite season of all!! I love warm sunshine! I love eating on patios! I love swimming and going to the lake! Most of all I love Summer Mission Trips! There is just something about going on the mission trips in the summer. I have the true blessing of being involved with 3 powerful mission trips a year.... and its part of my job!

There are so many reasons why I love going on mission trips, but one of the main reasons is I have the privilege of seeing the youth and adults who go on the trip transform in their faith because they are putting their faith in action. There is a huge rumor out there that youth are lazy and they don't think of anybody but themselves. I ask anybody who thinks that, to go on a mission trip with teenagers. It is my opinion that teenagers aren't lazy... they are just not given the opportunity to put their faith in action.

All of you who have been on a mission trip can agree with me when I say that usually those helping others are actually just as blessed by the experience as those who are being helped. There is nothing quite like the feeling of helping others and putting your faith in action. When we are able to help others we are able to be the true hands and feet of Christ. Relationships are built and Christ can be seen and felt through the work of others.

I am not sure if this scripture is written just for those who take a week off in the summer to help others. I am sure though, that this scripture is for everybody to act on. We are called as Christians to put our faith into action. Its not just because its the right thing to do.... but I think its a way for us to feel closer to Christ. When we act Christ-like... we can feel Christ-like.

All of us can be in mission everyday. Opening doors for others, listening to friends, doing random acts of kindness. We are called to step out from who we are and be who Christ is. We are called to be Christ's hands and feet to others...and not when it is convenient to us.

Christ didn't have a blackberry or i phone to schedule in his ministry. He didn't say.. hold on I can help you next Tuesday after basketball practice and before my dentist appointment. Christ looked for ways to show his love, even at inconvenient times.

If you have never been on a mission trip, I want to encourage you to go on one. If you are looking for ways to be in mission everyday... I pray that your eyes will be opened to those opportunities.

We have been given so much and I never want to take that for granted. Instead I ask God to provide opportunities for me to be generous.........even when I am not on a mission trip.

No comments: