Thursday, March 4, 2010

Unfailing love.........Impossible love Jeremiah 31:3

Jeremiah 31:3 (New Living Translation)

3 Long ago the Lord said to Israel:
“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.
With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.

Wow!

Everlasting........ Unfailing....... love.........

These are some powerful words! Seriously, there is power behind these words.

Life is overwhelming at times. We can be overwhelmed by bills, stress, work loads, laundry, family issues, (need I go on). But this scripture is overwhelming on a whole new level. After reading this scripture several times, I am overwhelmed by the love our Lord has for us.

We sing "Jesus loves me" we post "God is love" but here are the words the Lord gives to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself." Wow! These words were written a long time ago to the Israelites and these words were written a long time ago for us. God isn't just love, he is everlasting love. Jesus doesn't just love us, He loves us unfailingly.

Love is defined with so many limits today. We can love pizza and we can love our family all in one breath. Marriages struggle to maintain love in the relationship. Teenagers scribble I love _______________. on their notebooks and end all of their facebook postings with I love ___________ . Love is used, misused, and abused in so many ways.

When was the last time you loved with an everlasting love? When was the last time your love was unfailing?

Thats the thing, I am not sure we are capable of loving the way God loves us. I think we should strive to love the way God loves us but I am not sure if it is possible for us to love in a world full of conditions. God's love is there for us whether we acknowledge it or not. God's love never changes....even when we change. I am not sure we can full grasp the sort of love that God has for us.

I am going to let you into a random secret ritual my mom and I have (sorry mom).... every time my mom tells me she loves me, I tell her that I love her more, and then she responds with "its not possible", That is powerful to hear ... even as an adult. Its powerful to know that as much as I love my mom... there is no possible way that I can love her more than she loves me.

The same is true for our Creator. There is no possible way that I can love God more than God loves me. There is no way I can love anybody as much as God loves them. It is just not possible.

We are drawn to God by God's unfailing love. That is powerful.

No comments: