Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 6: The unexpected ordinary....

Psalm 89:11 (New Living Translation)


11 The heavens are yours, and the earth is yours;
everything in the world is yours—you created it all.


Last night the Lord truly expanded time so that I could finish some much needed housework. I am not sure why I put off doing housework because once I start on my housework I am reminded about all that I have.... and all I have to be thankful for. For instance I am very thankful and have a huge appreciation for the new Bounce Dryer Bar that you can use in the place of dryer sheets. I always forget to put in dryer sheets when I am changing over the laundry. As a result, my laundry is stricken with static cling and my clothes don't smell as April fresh as I would like them to. The Bounce Dryer Bar has honestly changed my life. Every single time I open my dryer... I am hit with the smell of clean clothes that are free from static and mediocrity.

As I was folding the laundry last night, I caught myself saying out loud "Thank you God for Bounce Dryer Bars". After I said that awkward phrase, I really started to think about the words. Rarely to I find the love of Christ through random laundry supplies.

Jesus is our everything. There is a song written by Tim Hughes that speaks to me every time I hear it:

God in my living
There in my breathing
God in my waking
God in my sleeping

God in my resting
There in my working
God in my thinking
God in my speaking

Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything

God in my hoping
There in my dreaming
God in my watching
God in my waiting

God in my laughing
There in my weeping
God in my hurting
God in my healing

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
You are everything

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
Be my everything


How many of us find God in our laughing AND in our weeping? How many of us can sit in line at the grocery store or doctors office and happily say to ourselves "God is in my waiting"?

This song and the scripture found in Psalm 89 remind us how huge God really is. We say God is big, but until we start thinking that God can be our everything.. big is a word we can't even start to use to describe God.

Is God your everything? Is God in everything that you do? When you laugh do you think about how God is in your laughter? With each breath that you take, are you reminded that God is the one who gave you breath in the first place? When you are about to fall asleep after a long hard day, do you think about how God is there in your sleeping? When you do the laundry and your clothes are not sticking together or stinky, do you think about how God is in your laundry products?

We think its silly or juvenile to really think about how big God is let alone thanking God out loud for things. This scripture reminds us that EVERYTHING is God's. We don't own anything. Everything we have has been loaned out to us for a short time. When we stop the daily routines we have created for ourselves, and start thinking about what we are doing with what God has given us... and acknowledge his presence in everything, we are able to just see a small part of what Christ has prepared for all of us.

I want to issue a challenge to all of you who read this, look for God not in the extraordinary, but in the ordinary today. Look for God in the unexpected instead of the expected. Once you find God in the unexpected ordinary... comment on this blog and tell about where you found God. May God be your everything.......everywhere!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

God is in my daughter screaming obcenities... because she's alive and in my house while screaming them.

Amanda Sargent said...

Amen! God is with every inch of her..... and in the rest of your family too!

Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

I saw God in the time he gave me this afternoon to get many things finished! Especially my English research paper.

Also Amanda, Thank you for writing this every day. My Lenten goal was to devote time for devotion and scripture everyday, and you have helped!

Ethan