Thursday, February 25, 2010

divided loyalty James 1:5-8

James 1:5-8 (New Living Translation)

5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

Who would ever say "I am a disloyal person"? Most people, including myself, would like to say that loyalty is one of their best traits. I pride myself on being loyal. I have worked at a total of four different places my whole life, I have had the same friends for a very long time. I have even remained loyal to the type of toilet paper I use.

This scripture really made me start thinking about loyalty. When it comes to faith, I have divided loyalty.

I love that this scripture all starts with wisdom. I rarely take the time to even ask God for wisdom and when I do, I often don't stick around for the answer. I let God into my wisdom instead of asking for Gods wisdom.

This world has a lot to offer. If the world was one terrible mess, it would be easier not to fall into its trap. This world is full of "wisdom" and answers. We can google anything. We can text, email, and call our friends and family in a moments notice. The world does not shy away from providing wisdom. The true answers are found in our loyalty. This scripture challenges us to not only ask for Gods wisdom, but wholeheartedly stay focused on God.

Loyalty in God provides stability in a very unstable world. Loyalty requires endurance,patience,focus, and faith.

I pray that I stop and pay attention to what God has in store for me and my life.

No comments: