Thursday, February 25, 2010

The process of prayer Colossians 1:11-12

Colossians 1:11-12 (New Living Translation)

11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, 12 always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.

I was asked to write a prayer for a youth prayer guide and the thought of sitting down to write a prayer is just a bit overwhelming. Why is that? How can I sit down for 8 days (very proud of myself btw) and write a blog about scripture... but I have a hard time writing a prayer that will bring direction and guidance to teenagers.

Sometimes I wish I prayed like the Bible people prayed. It seems like their prayers had it all together. Paul wrote amazing letters describing the prayers he was praying for others. I love the fact that Paul didn't really pray for quick solutions. Instead Paul prayed about the process that people had to go through during their times of trouble. He prayed for patience, endurance, and joy.

When my friends, family, or youth are going through something rarely do I pray for them to have endurance and patience. I cut to the chase with God and I ask God to remove the obstacles in their way. I pray for instant comfort and relief instead of joy in the process of healing.

Maybe Paul was onto something. Maybe the process is the most important part of prayer. I am a fixer. If i see somebody hurt I want to fix them immediately. But sometimes a band aid prayer is not what is needed. Maybe instead of asking God to remove pain, I can ask God to prepare my loved one for the pain that they will have to endure. Instead of asking God to wave the magic wand, maybe I need to ask God to bring patience to my youth who are facing adversity. Instead of yelling at God for all of the wrong in the world, maybe I need to ask him to show me joy in all situations.

I believe with all of my heart that God can heal instantly. I believe that God has the ability to wave a wand and remove pain. But I also believe that God is not a god of quick fixes. Sometimes we need to feel pain so we understand each others pain. Sometimes we need to endure situations to experience the fullness of the blessing God has waiting for all of us.

Today I want to pray for all of you to be "strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light."

I am going to print out this scripture and pray it the rest of the week as I pray for others.... and I want to challenge all of you to do the same.

No comments: