Thursday, February 18, 2010

Do as I do.....not as I say....

Psalm 19:14 (New Living Translation)

14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

"Actions speak louder than words." this popular phrase is one of the most honest phrases I have ever heard. When did that happen? When did words lose their importance? When did actions become loud? In a society where well choreographed press attended official apologies are analyzed word by word, I really wonder if anybody really believes words anymore. We hear lies all the time. We are surrounded by people who say one thing but do something completely different. We are manipulated by politicians, ministers, family members and friends. With all of these words that we are confronted with on a second by second basis, no wonder actions speak louder than words for most.

This scripture reminds us that our words mean something. I never really think about how pleasing (or let's just be honest, displeasing) my words can be. When our pleasing words mirror our pleasing actions we might just experience a glimpse of what "Christlikeness” looks and feels like. I want to live a life where my words speak just as loud as my actions. This scripture helps me to focus on the power of words and the intentions behind my words.

This is my prayer today.

No comments: